Eye Care Centers International
The World Without Blindness project, which was successfully tested in Ecuador, is devoted to the prevention of blindness through screening and early disease detection, patient information, physician education and vision science research.
Using the most sophisticated technology and the assistance of American doctors who are considered experts in the field, World Without Blindness can provide efficient early eye disease detection services to children and families, which it did in Ecuador in 2011.
At the present time, World Without Blindness is using a technology based on Visual Evoked Potential (“VEP”) that allows screening for eye diseases on a large scale, using the local population, and employing local technicians with no previous experience in Ophthalmology.
- Blindness is loss of vision due to diseases affecting the eye, optic nerve and central nervous system. Blindness affect people worldwide.
- Most people go blind because they do not know they have the disease, since most eye diseases are silent during evolution until significant damage has occurred.
- According to the World Health Organization there w
ere over161 million visually impaired people in the world in 2012 .
- Among the leading causes of blindness in the world include: macular degeneration, glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy and amblyopia in children.
- The financial and social impact can be reduced significantly with early detection and treatment of the eye diseases.